Monday, March 10, 2014

First Day of New Workout

My last post spoke to wanting to change my workout.  I finally got to do that this week.  Most Mondays and Thursdays, I start my workout with nearly 90 minutes of cardio (the ellipitcal, rowing machine, and the stair climber) followed by 15 minutes on the circuit, doing mostly chest exercises.  That was fine, but it has been the same thing for nearly a year.  I realize that I am about to celebrate one year at LA Fitness and while my body has changed significantly, it is not where I want it.  So, now is the time to make the change.

Today, I started with the circuit, but instead of only doing chest exercises, I did a machine the utilized nearly every muscle group (with the exception of leg exercises) on the circuit.  I did 3 sets of 15 reps and the weight changed depending on the muscle group I was working.  It took approximately 40 minutes and then I went to do cardio.

I did 35 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes on the rowing machine and followed that up with 21 minutes (so I could burn over 300 calories) on the stair climber.  In the end, my workout totaled over 2 hours.  I felt re-energized and completely ready to take on the day.

Tomorrow, I will be doing nearly an hour of weight lifting followed by approximately 45 minutes running on the treadmill.  I am looking forward to seeing how I do with these workouts.  Weight lifting is something that is still somewhat scary to me, but I am getting more comfortable with it as time goes on.  I do wish that I had my online fitness friend and hero David with me for those dead lifts.  I have not tried those yet and I know he would encourage me to get on it.

The goal is to build more muscle and develop a more built look.  I also am still working on the fat loss and have also made major changes to the diet.  With it being Lent, and I am giving up sweets, it is a great time to clean up the diet to make the changes that are needed to break through the plateau.  Spring (and summer) will soon be here and I want to not only look good to feel my best during some of my favorite times of the year.

Have you made any recent changes to your workout?  If so, what were there?

No comments:

Post a Comment