Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gym Nicknames

Does anyone else start to nickname the regulars that attend their gym?  It is something that I have done since joining my first gym 11 years ago.  You get used to seeing these people on a daily basis and if you don't speak with them, you begin to develop ways to identify them.  If you're fortunate enough to meet a gym buddy that thinks similarly, going to the gym can be a fun time.

The nicknames are usually in good humor, but sometimes they can get a bit mean.  It often depends on what motivates the names.  If it is something positive, like the person is attractive you may start a description with "Hot."  If it is because someone does something odd, they may get the description "Creepy."

Often times, I wonder if people have nicknames for me.  I usually complete half of my workout with my glasses and the other without, so often I find myself looking at shapes or colors.  I often wonder if I make people uncomfortable because it appears as if I am staring.  If the worst name that someone can give me is "The Starer" or something similar, then I am probably in good shape.

Something to consider when developing nicknames is when to use them.  Using them with your gym buddy is good, but outside of that company can be tricky.  This is especially true if you've given a nickname to someone attractive.  I recently had a texting malfunction when I was messaging with my gym buddy the other day.  At one point, I mistakenly messaged my boyfriend about this one guy at the gym and referred to him as "Hot."  He took it all in stride, but it was a lesson learned.

What about you?  What is the most outrageous name you've developed?

No comments:

Post a Comment