Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Running Adventure Continues

I started running on Sunday, April 13 and completed two laps around the park, travelling a total of 3.55 miles.  Since that time, I've run maybe five more times.  Each time I run, I like it more.  I've found myself losing time as I run and clear my mind and it has become therapy for me.  

The weather here in Buffalo has remained inconsistent so at most I run perhaps twice per week.  I am definitely a fair weather runner, but because I am not really training for anything, it doesn't really matter how often I run.  I've continued to look at each opportunity I am out there as a gift.  I also look to improve myself each time I on a run.  

I am amazed at my running time.  When I first started, I didn't really know what to expect.  At the gym on the treadmill, I ran a 12 minute mile.  My first time around the park, I ran a little over a 10 minute mile.  During my last run, I ran a 9 minute, 4 second mile. I was stunned.  How could I be running so fast with so little experience?  A part of it is my stride, which is long, but I guess another part of it is my endurance.  I've been using the elliptical consistently for over a year.  I also use the stair climber machine.  I never would have imagined that doing those exercises would be such a positive effect on my ability to run.

Yesterday, I met a friend in the park to walk.  He is recovering from recent surgery and he was frustrated with himself for not being able to run.  I suggested getting a walk, and he was game.  The weather was originally supposed to be terrible, and it was wet and rainy throughout the day.  Yet, as the time came closer for he and I to get together, the sun started shining, so he and I were able to meet.  The walk was going well, when he suggested we start jogging.  We did and he was able to keep up a very nice pace.  We ended up running 1.5 miles.  It was awesome!  I was extremely proud of him, but I also saw that I could run with someone, keep up a conversation and have a good time.  The run time flew by and I am actually looking forward to running with him again.  

The moral of this story is to not be afraid to try something new.  I've avoided running for years, but because of a commitment to a friend, I took up the sport.  I then avoided running with another person, but because of another friend, I tried it and enjoyed it.  Are there physical challenges that you are initially scared or hesitant to try, that you end up enjoying?  



No comments:

Post a Comment