Monday, April 14, 2014

Success!

What does success feel like in your fitness journey?  Have you set goals along the way?  How does it feel when you finally reach that goal?

In 2013, I agreed to run my first 5K with my good friend Ron.  He wanted to do it and I said we could in 2014.  My original plan was to start training on the treadmill in January.  When January rolled around, I made excuses until another friend at the gym, Guy, took me to task and told me it was time to start running.  I did it and survived.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get the right running sneakers right away and ended up injuring my knee.  This set me back about a month in my training.  The weather here in Buffalo was awful, so the date of my 5K was going to be in April or May, so I really had not lost a lot of time in training.

I started running the treadmill at the end of February and continued to slowly train.  Ron and I discussed a training schedule outside, but life intervened and he started without me.  The weather continued to be a factor and I had no interest in running in the cold or on ice.  I soon realized that I had to start or I wouldn't be ready to run the 5K when the opportunity arose.

The date that I picked to start was my brother's birthday.  Alex was with us for one year, but he died from complications from Multiple Sclerosis on his first birthday.  This year was the 30th anniversary of his death and it is generally a difficult time for my parents and me.  I didn't realize that it was his birthday when I picked this day---it was a Sunday and therefore a "run day."  The weather was perfect---high 40s and sunny.  Delaware Park was fairly quiet and I was able to get a groove going.  My running music playlist is awesome and inspiring and before I knew it I had run around the park twice.  My total time was 34:48 and I ran 3.55 miles.  Keep in mind that a 5K is 3.1 miles, so I ran (over) the length of my goal in excellent time.  At the gym, I have the treadmill set for a 12 minute mile, so I ran faster outside than I do on the treadmill.

To say that I was proud was an understatement.  I realize that it is not a big goal to some, but to me it was amazing.  I can now say without any trepidation that I can run the 5K.  I am ready, willing and able.  I also loved being outside running and I cannot wait to get out there again.  The weather is supposed to take a turn for the worse tomorrow (it actually already is), so I won't be out there tomorrow, but Friday looks good.  I am feeling so pumped.

I thank you all for allowing me to share my successes from my journey.  Whomever reads this, know that I appreciate your support.  Meanwhile, here is a song that describes how I felt as I was running.


1 comment:

  1. That was awesome Collin! It's all about setting goes along the way that can feed you hunger of accomplishment u til the next step! You sir, rock

    ReplyDelete